Maria is a single mother who often feels stressed. She is a computer programmer with a thirteen years old son. At work, she sits in front of a computer for most of the day. While sitting at work, her lower back often hurts and her eyes get tired from looking at the computer for long periods of time.
- Fell stressed: cảm thấy áp lực
- Lower back: vùng thắt lưng
- Get tired from doing sthing: mỏi
During her lunch break, she enjoys taking a walk with a couple of friends. She enjoys the fresh air and talking with her friends. For lunch, she usually eats something light like a salad and fruit. At work, she drinks water instead of coffee or soda.
- Enjoy something/doing something: thích điều gì/làm gì
- Worries about something: lo lắng điều gì
She worries about her son since she can not be there when he arrives home from school. She also worries about not having enough money to pay the bills.
Maria suffers from migraine headaches. When this happens she feels severe pain on both sides of her head, loses her appetite, feels nauseous, and sometimes even vomits. She can feel this way of three or four days.
- Migraine headaches: đau đầu
- Lose appetite: ăn không ngon miệng
- Feel nauseous: buồn nôn
- Vomit: nôn
Maria has high blood pressure. High blood pressure is when the heart works harder to pump blood through the arteries. Maria watches her weight and takes medicine for this disease. She realizes she must be concerned about her high blood pressure otherwise she could have a heart attack, stroke, or suffer from kidney disorders.
- High blood pressure: tăng huyết áp
- To take medicine/medication: uống thuốc
- To be concerned about: lo lắng về điều gì
- Heart attack: nhồi máu cơ tim
- Stroke: đột quỵ
- Kidney disorders: bệnh lý thận
Maria realizes that she needs to manage her stress. Therefore she walks with her friends during the week. On weekends she often goes bike riding with her son. She knows she needs to eat a sensible diet to maintain the energy needed to cope with her stress.
She sets her priorities to avoid unnecessary time pressures. In the evenings she does stretching exercises. Then she relaxes in a warm bath before going to bed. Maria tries to get eight hours of sleep a night.
- Manage a disease/disorder: kiểm soát/xử trí bệnh,tình trạng bệnh
- To cope with something: chống chọi lại tình trạng gì
- To set priority: chọn việc ưu tiên làm
Questions and Answers
1.1. Answer the following questions in complete sentences.
- What does Maria drink at work?
- Name two reasons why Maria feels stressed.
- How does Maria feel when she has a migraine headache?
- What is high blood pressure?
- List three health problems that high blood pressure can cause.
- List three things that Maria does to manage her stress
- What are a couple of things you do to manage your stress?
Luyện nghe: Way to cope with stress
Nguyễn Thái Duy
Medical English Teacher – Nguyen Tat Thanh University